This position requires 5 years of experience related to the planning, procurement, technical assembly and commissioning of tunneling industry related equipment including large diameter tunnel boring machines, earth pressure balance machines, SEM (shot-crete lining) and micro-tunneling equipment including MTBM, pipe-jacking, shaft boring equipment. This position also requires demonstrated technical expertise in concrete lining forms and concrete placement related to shafts and tunnels.
The General Superintendent is responsible for managing all field operations on assigned projects in order to achieve timely and profitable completion of each project. General Superintendent manages multiple crews, directing activities of workers by performing the following duties personally or through subordinates. Critical for success are strong leadership, organizational and time management skills, as well as strong communication skills customer service skills.
Your Key Responsibilities
- Maintain and promote a strong safety culture for all employees, vendors, and customers and follow all safety policies, procedures and regulations. Identify and communicate workplace hazards and correct or seek assistance in correcting unsafe actions or conditions.
- Leads multi-discipline groups of superintendents across Canada. Responsibilities include interviewing, hiring, and training employees; planning, assigning, and directing work; providing feedback; rewarding and disciplining employees; addressing complaints and resolving problems.
- Monitor, direct, and set the tone for accountability for safety, quality, compliance, and environmental programs.
- Develop and maintain good relationships with local union representation and adhere to agreements.
- Oversee all active projects, ensuring jobsite goals and objectives are met. Manage and react to cost vs budget trends.
- Review field reporting including equipment utilization and QA/QC. Monitor and set time policy.
- Coordinate field issues, including assembly and commissioning of required equipment, and scheduling of progress with PM's and Superintendents.
- Assist Project Managers, Project Engineers, and Estimators to bid projects, including sharing innovative cost-saving ideas.
- Attend client meetings and pre-bid meetings as required.
- Conduct Superintendent meetings to schedule equipment and manpower needs.
- Coordinate with risk to develop and implement risk mitigation plans for key operational items.
- Other duties as assigned.
Required Capabilities and Credentials
- Minimum of 5 years of experience leading major projects related to large diameter tunneling, microtunneling, deep shaft construction, and civil works.
- Must have a minimum of 5 years of experience related to the planning, technical assembly and commissioning of tunneling industry related equipment including large diameter tunnel boring machines, earth pressure balance machines, SEM (shot-crete lining) and micro-tunneling equipment including MTBM, pipe-jacking, shaft boring equipment.
- Demonstrated technical expertise in concrete lining forms and concrete placement related to shafts and tunnels.
- Must have a minimum of 5 years overseeing multiple projects, or multiple large work packages on a major project.
- Must possess a valid driver license for the type(s) of vehicles which may be driven and an acceptable driving record