Overview / Responsibilities
Wood has an exciting career opportunity for a Protection and Controls Technician,
based out of our Fredericton NB office.
In this role you will be part of a great team of professionals, supporting work in Atlantic Canada. As a member, you will provide technical services in field operations throughout commissioning protection, control, and metering at power generating stations and electrical substations
ranging from 12 kV to 500 kV.
As a team member, you will be intergraded into a supportive and collaborative environment where you will be able to grow your skills and be exposed to many diverse projects.
Wood values it's employees and will provide a competitive salary, a comprehensive health and dental benefits package, a Group RRSP plan, as well as the option to purchase Wood Shares at preferred rates.
Key responsibilities within this role will include, but are not limited to the following:
Skills / Qualifications
- Configuration of protection relays
- Relay hardware checks
- Protection element testing
- DC logic functional testing
- Development of isolation plans
- Primary apparatus testing such as potential transformers and current transformers
- Prepare or review as-built documentation
- Support during start up and energization
- In depth troubleshooting of protection and control systems and analysis of protection alarms and root cause analysis
- Enhancing and maintaining relationships with internal groups as well as external contractors and clients
- Safe execution of work in accordance to agreed guidance documents
The successful candidates must have
the following skills/qualifications:
- Must have a minimum of 3 years of utility-specific protection, control, and metering experience
- Must have an Engineering Technology Certificate
- An equivalent combination of experience and/or education from which comparable knowledge, skills, and abilities have been achieved may also be considered if in the Power and Controls Commissioning field
- Experience with the following:
- Power system documentation including Single line diagrams, AC and DC schematics, wiring diagrams, panel layout and Boolean logic diagrams
- Trade standards, specifications, rules, and regulations
- GE or S EL protection platform
- IEC61850 and GOOSE messaging
- Communication protocols such as TCP / IP, Modbus, DNP3, etc.
- Using the Omicron or Doble suite of equipment for secondary system testing
Wood is a global leader in consulting and engineering, helping to unlock solutions to critical challenges in energy and materials markets. We provide consulting, projects and operations solutions in 60 countries, employing around 35,000 people. Diversity Statement (EEO)
We are an equal opportunity employer that recognises the value of a diverse workforce. All suitably qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment on the basis of objective criteria and without regard to the following (which is a non-exhaustive list): race, colour, age, religion, gender, national origin, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, protected veteran status, or other characteristics in accordance with the relevant governing laws.